Thursday, August 5, 2010

Thursday Mid-afternoon, August 5.

I had bought some banana's. I thought I would eat them. I got lazy. Personally, I have to be in the right mood for bananas...if ya know what I mean. So there were two bananas sitting on my table getting riper and riper, they were covered in brown spots and the idea of making Nanner-bread came into my head. I looked online and found a decent recipe that was simple on Allrecipe.com or something like that.

ORIGINAL LAME RECIPE:
Banana Bread.
Ingredients
    •    2 cups all-purpose flour
    •    1 teaspoon baking soda
    •    1/4 teaspoon salt
    •    1/2 cup butter
    •    3/4 cup brown sugar
    •    2 eggs, beaten
    •    2 1/3 cups mashed overripe bananas


Directions
    1.    Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a 9x5 inch loaf pan.
    2.    In a large bowl, combine flour, baking soda and salt. In a separate bowl, cream together butter and brown sugar. Stir in eggs and mashed bananas until well blended. Stir banana mixture into flour mixture; stir just to moisten. Pour batter into prepared loaf pan.
    3.    Bake in preheated oven for 60 to 65 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into center of the loaf comes out clean. Let bread cool in pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack.

I had actually gotten through prepping and had almost half way done mixing the wet ingredients when I discovered that there was no way in hell that TWO bananas = 2 1/3 cups mashed bananas. They just don't. There's no way around it. Instead of getting mopey and whiny, I just tweaked things.

My room mate likes to dabble in culinary endeavors, especially baking. When I told her what I did with this recipe, she scoffed and doubted me.

Om nom nom nom nom....
I added about half a cup of shredded sweetened coconut, golden raisins, dried currants, about 2-3 ounces of Frangelico, and then sprinkled some large grain organic cane sugar on top. I took it out of the oven a couple minutes before the recommended time too, I find that it (obviously) retains more moisture that way. It smelled fantastic, turned out gorgeous, and was neither too sweet nor too savory. And I proved my room mate wrong. :P

No comments:

Post a Comment