Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Pawsta salad.

No, there are no paws in this salad, I'm just weird.

Today for lunch I made a variant of my ever-popular orzo salad.

I usually make this salad with plenty of Kalamata olives, feta cheese, and salad-worthy veggies I have lying around. Sliced grape tomatoes, a little onion, some bell pepper, and cucumber are all good things. Like I said, this was a variant. Today I had olives, onion, and tomato, and just a small chunk of feta left to disperse amongst the other good stuffs.

There are four different components to this salad:

The Orzo! (If you are feeling particularly hungry, boil about 1 cup of dry orzo) (It is a small pasta, so it'll only take about 5 minutes-ish, take some and chew on a couple to make sure it's cooked enough for your liking.)

The Veggies! (As previously mentioned, salad worthy veggies are all good choices.)

The Dressing! (Today I did something different. Usually I take a moderate spoonful of sour cream along with some pitted olives and feta and blend until they make a kind of yummy paste. Today, I used about 1-2 tablespoons (tbsp) of this good meyer lemon and kaffir lime spread (mayonnaise) I bought at Meijer on a whim, a small dash of Annie's Green Goddess dressing, and about 3-5 tbsp of sour cream. Also, S&P!)

And

Salad Greens! (I like to chop up my greens because they will fit in my mouth better, and it looks better too!)

Words to the Wise: if you're going to put raw onion in this salad, don't put more than half a medium bulb! The spiciness will overpower all the other flavors except for the cutting saltiness of the olives. Browning said onion is probably the best route to take if you want to have that special something extra.

No comments:

Post a Comment