Sunday, February 27, 2011

Smoked Sausage!

ALRIGHT. SO I used to eat smoked sausage quite a bit in my youth. My mom especially loved to eat a fried split link for breakfast with her eggs and toast.

I really like how it crisps up just right when you cook it in a pan, but it's also very flavorful and gives a lot of flavor to whatever you cook with and eat with it.

The most recent foods I've made with delicious smoked sausage: Spaghetti, and tomato soup!

The spaghetti was easy, just cut your sausage into pieces however large you desire. I like mine cut into coins. Cook your sausage in a skillet. You don't need to add oil or fat because the sausage is full of it! The meat will actually shrink and release a lot of delicious grease!! YUMMM....right? :\ It's all for the good!

I also chopped up some mushrooms and onion and cooked those along with the sausage in the skillet. After they had browned, add your favorite sauce and it's done! Be sure to have a small taste to know if you need to add any S&P.

TOMATO SOUP: When making tomato soup, many a times it will end up tasting like a ragu instead of a proper soup. Regardless, it will be tasty. For this recipe, I used a 30oz can of diced tomatoes.

I started again with the sausage coins in a medium pot. After cooking them, remove them! Add your tomato, onion, garlic, and a ton of basil. A metric TON. Just kidding, only a medium handful of dried basil.

I don't know about the rest of you out there in internet-world. I own an immersion blender! If you own one too, you can make your soup mildly chunky by pureeing loosely here and there. Having a chunky soup isn't a bad thing though, if you want to keep it chunky (or don't have an immersion blender). Add your meats back to the mix and serve! I enjoy having a small splash of cream on top, it's an aesthetic thing.


If you don't want any meat, don't add any and make it vegetarian, I'm not holding you back! Be aware that the meat is pretty salty, so you don't necessarily need to add any more, but some fresh black pepper won't hurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment